Tuesday, February 12, 2008

My Own Music Director

I completly understand a Music Directors position; to keep the music that is on the top of the charts playing and to stay within format. But, nothing is more of a free experience than choosing the music you are going to play while you are DJing. When I worked for Y94, in Fargo, ND. I rarely got to chose the music. Well, this makes sense because it is a Top 40's station and we had to stay in format. When listeners would call in, and requested a song, I would mostly answer "I will see what I can do." Unless if the song had not been played within the last hour, is not scheduled for another hour and I could switch it out for an old song (Then I would consider playing it).

When I was the station manager for Kord Radio at Concordia College, Moorhead,MN, I got to play whatever music I liked, except three format songs from CMJ's charts. This was not a problem because I like the music from CMJ. So being a DJ at Kord was a lot of fun and opened me up to new artists and music.

There is a new station in New York, WXRP, that has DJs that chose their own music. “The New York Rock Experience”? From all indicators it is a blend of Classic Rock, Alternative, New Music, and Indie Rock. So you have to check it out, but keep listening to those Top 40 Stations and stations with a format because it is a great way to hear new songs and listen to the genre of music that keeps you going! OK?!?!

No comments: