Thursday, January 17, 2008

For a long time, I have wanted a career in radio because I have been an intern and part-timer for many radio stations in the Midwest. Currently, I am not in radio, but work for a non-profit organization.

My heart is still with entertainment, especially the music industry. But, when I met with my mentor in Minneapolis, she was telling me that the best place to go for entertainment is with the Internet. She told me that radio is not dead and will be around for a long time; but, the best way to make a career is with going digital.I do agree with what she is saying, but I do believe in radio. I am very passionate about learning the movement of digital media and how radio can be incorporated with it.

I read an interview with Joseph Jeffe on Hear 2.0's blog where he said that radio is not interactive and a conversational medium. Also, that radio stations do not try new things to stand out above other media. Although I feel he makes really good points and there have to be some new ways to get companies interested in sales with a radio station; radio stations try to converse with their listeners.

For example:
1. I was a part-time DJ for Y94 in Fargo, ND. And during the Halloween time, we made videos about one of the DJ's being haunted. This was only posted on the website for listeners to see.
2. Elliot in the morning of DC101 in Washington takes calls and talks about whatever the listener wants to talk about.
3. Hot99.5 has their own chat on it's website where you can talk to other listeners.
4. DJs also use MySpace or Facebook to connect with listeners.
5. DJ's go out to remotes to promote a club or event and interacts with listeners.

So, I think radio stations are trying new ways to converse with their listeners while using digital media and in-person conversation. Maybe they have not found the best way to converse with listeners, but they are sure trying!

No comments: